Pedestrian Accidents Attorneys
San Luis Obispo Pedestrian Accident Lawyers/Attorneys
Whether for convenience, exercise or out of habit, walking is a perfectly serviceable way to get around, especially in nice weather. When pedestrians and motor vehicles cross paths, however, a pedestrian is always in more danger of injury. Steven P. Roberts San Luis Obispo Pedestrian Accident lawyers understand that drivers have to take responsibility when they’re behind the wheel. If you’ve been injured while walking along a road, we go after the driver who hit you to pay for your damages.
San Luis Obispo Pedestrian Accident Law Firm
A pedestrian accident happens in two parts: the initial strike and the aftermath. The hit puts the most force directly on the victim, but the aftermath is more unpredictable, and the injuries can vary depending on what happens:
- Head and spinal injury — The force of a vehicle strike and the jarring motion of being physically thrown can overextend the neck and twist the back.
- Fracture — A thrown pedestrian might hit the ground or another obstacle, or have a limb run over upon landing, breaking one or more bones.
- Fatal injury — If a pedestrian is run over or struck at high speed, the impact can be devastating, crushing or puncturing internal organs and killing the victim either on impact or shortly thereafter.
Conditions leading to an accident with someone walking
Some places are more dangerous than others for pedestrians. It’s important to understand what makes an area hazardous, and to know when you need to be extra careful:
- Unsafe intersection — Some crossroads have particularly sharp turns, obstructed visibility or no traffic control where it’s needed most. As a result, pedestrians may be crossing the road without realizing a car is coming.
- Dangerous premises — If a road isn’t maintained or there are inclement weather conditions, it can reduce drivers’ control on the road and make a collision more likely.
- Distracted drivers — Whether they’re talking on the phone, texting or trying to fix their hair. If drivers aren’t being attentive, it puts anyone who steps on the road at risk.
Book Your Free Consultation
Fill out the form below and we will respond immediately to help you with your questions.
Types and causes of pedestrian accidents
In 2010, 70,000 people traveling on foot were injured in automobile accidents. There are many dangers to walkers on the roads of California:
Sometimes a driver is too busy weaving through traffic or trying to outpace another car to notice the pedestrians on the road ahead.
High-speed accidents have the most force behind them and often severely injure people on foot.
As a pedestrian, people often assume they have the right of way in a crosswalk or with a walking signal.
People on bikes may be focused on avoiding a nearby car or truck. A collision between a biker and a pedestrian is often harmful to everyone involved.
If you’ve been hit or run over while on foot in Fresno or San Luis Obispo Counties, let us help
Set up an appointment for a free consultation with Steven P. Roberts Personal Injury Lawyers. You can contact us online or by phone at 805.542-9900. The office is located at the entrance of the historic district in downtown San Luis Obispo. We’ll discuss your injuries, the medical care you’ll require and the best way to get the compensation you deserve from the insurance company, whether through arbitration or settlement or in court.
Call Now For Your Free Consultation